ONLINE SEMINAR SERIES: Food Cost Fitness
How to Trim Your Waste, Pump Up Your Profit and Please Your Guests Target Audience: Restaurant owners, managers and key kitchen personnel.
Food cost is the single biggest cost in many restaurants and it's also the most volatile operating expense you've got. There are just many, many ways to lose money working with food. Even though sophisticated food management tools are common, the fact remains that most restaurants lose money, and in many cases "lots" of money due to poor food handling practices and controls.
This practical, real-world program provides a comprehensive approach to understanding, managing and controlling your entire food production process. You and your people will learn where your restaurant is most vulnerable to food cost losses and how to take immediate and effective action.
Part 1: What Every Restaurant Pro Should Know About Food Cost
Time: 15 minutes
- Why it's easy (and very expensive) to have a food cost problem
- The factors that really determine your restaurant's food cost
- The 20 most common ways restaurants lose money dealing with food
- The important difference between food cost "dollars" and "percent"
- The most effective approaches to lowering your food cost
Part 2: The Most Powerful Food Cost Controls of All Time
Time: 20 minutes
- The major factors that drive your food cost
- Problems associated with carrying too much food in inventory
- How to evaluate your inventory levels quickly
- Why some suppliers love "quantity discounts" and why you should avoid them
- Why lower inventory levels means higher margins and better food quality
- An easy way to know your food cost weekly and why it will lower your food cost
- The advantages of keeping a running inventory on key products and how to do it
- How to reduce employee theft immediately
Part 3: Profitable Purchasing Practices
Time: 18 minutes
- Why every restaurant needs detailed product specs
- How competitive bidding usually results in "higher" overall prices
- The advantages of a prime vendor arrangement and how to establish one the "right" way
- Important factors to consider other than price
- How to reduce the likelihood of your people receiving supplier "kickbacks"
- Why you lose money if you don't use purchase orders & how to implement a simple, but effective, PO system
Part 4: Receiving & Storage
Time: 17 minutes
- The ideal person to perform the receiving functions
- How to put a stop to theft from non-employees
- Prevent losses from "short weights"
- Procedures to streamline and control your delivery & receiving functions
- Storage techniques to reduce losses from theft, spoilage and waste
- Tips to improve product rotation procedures
- Specific employees to "always" keep out of your storage areas
Part 5: Profitable Preparation Practices
Time: 23 minutes
- Why every restaurant needs standard recipes & how to create them
- What employee nibbling can cost you and how to reduce it
- Ways to improve portion controls
- The benefits of serving "hot" food "HOT" and how to do it
- Effects of sanitation and handling practices on shelf life, food quality and food cost
- Creative & proven ways to reduce preparation & improve product utilization
Part 6: Serving & Settlement Controls
Time: 24 minutes
- Animated overview of the restaurant sales transaction
- How restaurants lose cash in serving & settlement functions
- How to tighten up your cash controls
- Cash controls to identify and reduce theft
- Controls and operating advantages you should always get with a point of sale system
- How to conduct "surprise cash counts"
- When to use "spotters"
© 2014 RestaurantOwner.com
All Rights Reserved. Reproduction without permission prohibited.